MISO MARKET SUPPORT SERVICES
CMPAS offers MISO support services that include:
- Energy Scheduling
- MISO Tariff Recovery of Transmission Investments
- MISO Congestion Hedging Strategies using ARR/FTR’s
- MISO Resource Adequacy support
One of the core functions of CMPAS is providing MISO scheduling services to municipal utilities. CMPAS has performed MISO scheduling for its members since 2006. It also provides MISO scheduling services to the following Iowa municipals: Cedar Falls, Montezuma, and Eldridge.
As a result of CMPAS’s unique “Project Oriented” business model, the agency developed customized software to interface with the MISO market to facilitate segregating each of its members and affiliates power supply cost on an hourly basis. We can schedule a member’s entire full-requirements portfolio or we can schedule a member’s partial-requirements portfolio.
Our customized Energy Management System (EMS) software serves as the centerpiece of our scheduling services. EMS is our tool for programmatically scheduling and recording all physical and financial transactions as well as performing settlement shadow calculations. It provides the flexibility to add customers, customize the program to various needs, segregate members hourly energy accounting, and provide a 100 percent verifiable audit trail.
CMPAS’s EMS software fully integrates the following functions:
- SCADA acquisition of load and generation data
- Ventyx® load forecasting software
- Interface for submitting energy schedules to the MISO Portal
- Transaction scheduling
- Data archiving
- Shadow settlement calculation
Our EMS system differentiates us from other Scheduling Agent Service providers. As a result, we are able to customize to our members’ specific needs. Some of the major strengths of our EMS systems include:
- Full integration from the beginning of the process of forecasting daily load to reconciling and understanding the complex MISO bills at the end of the month;
- Data base archiving capability;
- Extensive querying capabilities for performing “after the fact analysis” and for creating customized management reports;
- Easy-to-understand daily day ahead and real-time Position Screens;
- Easy-to-understand MISO billing summaries;
- Remote Web accessibility;
- Text messaging and smartphone compatibility.
MISO TRANSMISSION SERVICES
Registered as a MISO TO (Transmission Owner), CMPAS can apply for tariff rate recovery on agency-sponsored CAPX Brookings transmission investment by filing a MISO Attachment O tariff worksheet. We also act as the designated agent for members and file for tariff recovery on transmission assets, which members own. We also provide this service to non-members.
Additionally, CMPAS can arrange for delivery in MISO that involves submitting Transmission Service Requests (TSR) for MISO point to point or network transmission service and initiating any required transmission delivery studies for accrediting member excess capacity so it can be sold to another entity.
CMPAS can also arrange for generation interconnection studies with MISO. A generation interconnection study is required before interconnecting generation to the MISO network grid.
MISO CONGESTION HEDGING
CMPAS helps our members manage congestion cost risk by hedging using Financial Transmission Rights (FTR’s). We help our members in two ways:
- Maximizing dollars acquired from Annual Auction Revenue Rights (ARR’s)
- Utilizing Annual Revenue Rights dollars to secure appropriate FTR hedge positions
MISO RESOURCE ADEQUACY
CMPAS supports municipals in complying with MISO Resource Adequacy Requirements and assists with the following:
- Long-Term Forecasting of your Capacity Requirements
- MISO Capacity Accreditation and Capability Reporting
- MISO Module e-filing
- MISO Capacity Auction
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT OFFERINGS